We have PINK SHIRT DAY coming up on Wednesday, February 25. Please share your ideas about the best way to promote / celebrate this day by following the link to the Google Doc below (please note that you will need to sign in to your Halton Cloud account).
At today's meeting we talked about potentially: -providing cupcakes to the class who shows the most spirit -taking pictures of all of the classes who get dressed up and creating a collage -decorating our bulletin board / room 117's doors to help people understand the story behind Pink Shirt Day -sending out announcements -handing out small pink shirt cut-outs with the date for Pink Shirt Day as a promotion reminder -creating posters to place around the school -having a pink shirt that people could write on with a sharpie to share their anti-bullying (anti-abuse) message or their experience with bullying / abuse -holding a mask making workshop (with Mental Health) to talk about the idea of the face that people present in public, versus how they feel
* An upcoming 'Comfy clothes' / Rainbow spirit day where we would hand out Free Hugs, candy (possibly cupcakes) and hot chocolate (with marshmallows) / tea :)
* Creating a survey to collect information about school awareness of terminology and language related to the LGBTQ+ community (we will create the survey at our next meeting - come with some ideas!)
* Finishing our questions box for the staff room (Lexy will bring this to me before our next meeting so that we can work on it at our next meeting)
* Random Acts of Kindness for stress relief including: handing out hot chocolate and tea with labels 'From Pearson PRIDE'
* Once we have created the survey, we will use an interview style to approach people and ask them to take our survey. We will also have the survey available at a table outside of the caf or in the school store. At our table / in the store we will have tea / hot chocolate /treats available for those who take our interview-style survey.
KEY DATES FOR OCTOBER 6-10
REMEMBER OUR STAFF PRESENTATION ON MONDAY AT 2:45. You will be there until 3:20.
Free Hugs to Monday and Tuesday during period 3 (& 4 if anyone is available to help). Please let me know if you are able to help out. We plan to have a poster available for all Pearson students to add their rainbow thumbprints to Lukayo's welcome sign on Monday.
Bake-sale to Tuesday after school. Please let me know if you are able to help out.
WEAR YOUR TIE DYE SHIRTS ON TUESDAY.
The button maker is here and I have colour copies of buttons. Let's make some buttons during P3 & 4 as well!
KEY DATES for the week of September 29 - October 3:
TIE-DYE PARTY ON TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 30 IN ROOM 117 AT 2:45! BRING YOUR WHITE SHIRTS!
Room 117 is open all week during periods 3 & 4 - come in an help plan our presentation to the staff OR paint some signs OR prepare Free Hugs!
Please see below for a list of important dates and potential projects:
1) Next Tuesday September 30 we will be making our Tie Dyed items (shirts, socks, bandanas) in room 117 from 2:45-4:00.
Each person needs to bring the item to be tie dyed to me by the morning of MONDAY SEPTEMBER 29 so that I can do the salt soak a day in advance.
****If you want to purchase a white t-shirt for $4 please see me by FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 26. I will place the order at 3 p.m. on Friday. ***
2) Friday October 3: Free Hugs promotion during period 3 & 4 in the school store & Taste of the Rainbow bake sale after school. Please email me to let me know if you can hand out Free Hugs during the day and if you can bring in some peanut free baked goods for our bake sale after school :)
3) POSTERS promoting Lukayo's visit. I loved the idea of Rainbow - "Lukayo's coming..." posters. Any other ideas are welcome~let your creativity shine!
I was also thinking that it would be great to make a big rainbow handprint banner that says "Welcome Lukayo" to hang in the gym and possibly some other positive space messages to decorate the assembly / place around the school. What do you think?
I also thought that it might be nice to make a baked "thank you" treat for Lukayo to present after the assembly - I can do it, but it might not be edible - is their someone else who would like to take this on? :)
On the day of the assembly we will need some students to introduce and welcome Lukayo during the assembly - any takers? :)
Just so you know: Lukayo Estrella of Jer's Vision is a spoken-word performer whose piece considers many of the struggles of transgender and 'gender non-conforming' individuals. It encourages self-empowerment, self-acceptance, and love.
4) Presentation to the staff on Monday October 6 at 3 p.m. . If you were not at the meeting today to sign up, but you would be interested in being a part of the team of students presenting to the staff regarding gender identities, language and other topics please email me to let me know. We will be meeting later this week to plan :)
5) Posters for the dance are due to Cody on Tuesday October 7. Please email them to me and I will share them with Cody :)
One last thing that I thought of is that we should have a plan in place to answer questions that might come up / respond to comments made after Lukayo's visit. Potentially it will be a good idea to combine our Tie Dye party with some training for us as a group. Please email me questions that you have / topics that you would like to know more about in order to feel prepared to engage in conversations with people who wonder what Pearson Pride is all about :)
Okay, I lied, the very last thing is that YOU ARE AWESOME - THANK YOU FOR CARING ENOUGH TO MAKE OUR SCHOOL BETTER!